Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Minor Miracles

Signs and Wonders.

Most of the time, our search for the signs and wonders usually result in sighs and worries. Most people do not realize just exactly how wonderfully subtle G-d's miracles can be.

An example? No problem.

Earlier this week I injured my back in a terrible, tragic and, regrettably, avoidable accident. (I fell while washing my dog in the bathtub.) At any rate, my first impulse, after screaming at the top of my lungs and panicking at the temporary paralysis due to shock was to ask my wife for help. She complied while exclaiming, "My G-d, Help us!"

Guess what? He did.

Now, in this case there was no flash of light followed by the crash of thunder that Hollywood likes to add at these points. Nope. In this case,
G-d put an inspiration into my wife's pretty little head to "call a local Chiropractor" instead of the more normal "call the family doctor." Since I was really in no condition to argue (I had recovered the use of my legs at this point, but was fundamentally unable to stand up straight) I acknowledged the soundness of her suggestion, took a pain pill, and went to bed.

This brings us to the next morning. What Doctor should we call?

Get out the Yellow Pages!

Now, my addled mind was trying to get me to my regular doctor which resulted in my calling said physician while my wife was checking our local listings. Naturally, The regular doctor is on vacation. Wife is now looking at me with a patient "yes, I know you are a stubborn man" look on her face and suggests a name she has found in the Yellow pages.

*Sigh*

So I pulled this random selection up on the computer and found the requested website. The doctor, whose website was small, neatly laid out and easy to navigate, was just down the street. OK, nothing bad leaping out at us yet. Phone in hand, appointment made. Panic begins to hover nearby...

As we walk into the office, two things are readily apparent: The Doctor hasn't been at this location long (panic is rubbing my shoulders at this point) and (trumpets sound) there is a picture of my Lord Jesus hanging from the wall ( panic mutters to itself and leaves). I am suddenly suffused with calm. As it happens, the doctor has been practicing his craft for a great many years and is quite adept at it.

And so, what had seemed to be a random string of events led us to a man who was quite devout in his faith and who praticed his craft based on this faith. My back was restored to functionality, and in the course of his examination and treatment, the doctor, at no additional charge(!) was able to repair other problems that had been bothering me for some time.

G-d is good.

No comments: