Monday, June 27, 2005

Welcome!

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life!"

I don't know about you, but I think that I must have heard this from every third teacher (whether I was their student or not) and just about all my Sunday School pastors! Uhg! Made me want to scream "can't you come up with something new?"

Sorry. Get ahead of myself sometimes.

The name's Brian D. I'm a music minister and sometimes preacher/teacher/whatever is needed at my local church. This church, while a wonderful fellowship, has become "stuck in the mud" of manmade traditions. They always sing the same songs, listen to the same sermons, "study" the same books as they always have.

This is, unfortunately, the way of the world.

So enters Double Portion Ministries, aka DPM! It is time for G-d's Kids, both young and old, to grow up! G-d didn't send His Son a couple thousand years ago to die for our "traditions"! NO! Jesus Died for Us! Not only that, but his followers, the original 11 (Judas bailed, remember) also, in most cases, gave their lives so that The Church (you and me) could grow and thrive.

Jesus told them, and now tells us, that he would send another, His Holy Spirit, as a comforter. When this happened in the Upper Room all those years ago, nobody in that room was left the same. Because along with the Holy Spirit came the spiritual gifts.

For some reason, though, these gifts seem to have been dismissed by the church (not you and me, but the one in Rome) as something akin to parlor tricks. And now, in these enlightened days, if it can't be measured in a lab somewhere it cannot POSSIBLY be real.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox now.

But here we are, just the same. I was personally healed of a rather nasty heart condition that kept me out of military service and pretty much framed my existence for 39 years. But then something "strange" happened. I was introduced to the notion that the G-d I had always acknowledged wanted to become more than a few words at mealtimes in my life. To show Himself both mighty and as a closer, more intimate friend and counselor, He bestowed upon me first a healing, then the gift of hearing His music.

Big Time Changes Occur At This Point.

I not only stopped having heart problems that required quarterly visits to the ER, (a soap opera all on its own) but I began to see G-ds hand in the lives of those around me. I could feel the presence of his messengers. My life was GOOD! Nothing could go wrong now!

Then two close friends died in the line of duty as police officers.

Ouch.

But.... G-d immediately showed himself mighty, even in this tragic time. A mighty Angel revealed himself to all who were on the central coast of California that day. I have a photo (posted on this sight somewhere...) that was taken just about the time the guys died.

Then the cross appeared on the sight where we found their bodies.

The investigation pictures taken at the scene have a beam of light that shines on the same spot, but this beam does not appear on the negatives.
(another picture posted...)

Nearly 2000 Officers came from around the world to the funeral for these two men.

Then the surviving family and co-workers asked me to drive the assigned patrol car of one of the two officers in the procession to the church.

I was the mechanic. G-d works in strange ways...

So now I, and my wife, have dedicated ourselves to breaking the hold the "traditional church" has on G-d's people, who are ultimately His Church! Jesus teaches, through his testaments, that we can have a real, physical relationship with Him! We do not have to wear a special robe or do some exotic ritual. All He asks is for us to listen, to give our lives to Him and He, in return, will guide us through life's ups and downs!

How bad would it be to live in a world where we only have to look into ourselves to see G-d?

How hard would it be to give someone a smile and encouragement instead of suspicion and animosity?

Is it possible to go to work not for a paycheck but as an example of G-d's love?

Is it possible to speak to another person without a profane word?

It is. And we can do it without some mystical training.

Find a Bible. G-d lays it all out.

1 comment:

Brenda and Sophie said...

Hey awesome! Keep spreading the word. I am frequently faced with questions about the church and hypocrisy, etc. I am constantly telling people that no matter how lovely, how full of grace God's message to us, we as humans are going to mess it up. It's not a problem with God and his love, it is a problem with people. The important thing is to look at His words, not the actions and words of others.